On November 21, 2022, the staff for Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War released a special ED video, which followed today’s airing of Episode 7. The ED video features the original 13 Court Guard Squad Captains.
You can watch the video here:
Thousand-Year Blood War Episode 7 synopsis and review
Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Episode 7 opened with a dramatic black-and-white flashback to 1,000 years ago when Yhwach and the Quincy Empire was facing off against Genryusai and the 13 Court Guard Squads Captains.
It showed Yhwach’s “final” moments just before a shinigami managed to stab him from behind and then Genryusai finished him off with a fiery downward slash. Then, we got a flashback where Genryusai was telling a young shinigami about a painting of Yhwach’s final moments and saying that if the “monster” ever were to return to Soul Society that it would be the end of him.
Upon Genryusai’s defeat, the captains sense the loss of his spiritual pressure and begin to panic. Yhwach speaks to Genryusai’s corpse when he notices that in death he still has his hand wrapped around his ankle. Yhwach muses that one of the reasons he wasn’t considered to be a “top 5 threat” was because he’d grown soft. He should have ordered Orihime to restore his arm but he didn’t want to take advantage of humans.
Yhwach muses aloud about how the original 13 Court Guard Squads that he founded were “Court Guards” in name only. In reality, they were a group of savage killers, but after they exterminated the Quincies that all changed. After the shinigami gained a peaceful world they had more to love and more to protect. Their newfound sense of justice and pride made them weak. Yhwach declared that although Soul Society would presently be destroyed Genryusai and the 13 Court Guard Squads really died 1,000 years ago.
The Stern Ritter members summon “soldat” – rebel army foot soldiers to completely wipe out the remaining shinigami in Soul Society. Ichigo finally manages to break out of the passageway and confronts his first Stern Ritter – Shaz Domino, whom he defeats in the blink of an eye.
Ichigo finds Rukia and Rengji and confirms they’re still alive. Then, Ichigo encounters the dying Byakuya, who asks Ichigo to please protect Soul Society. (Note: in the manga, he asked Ichigo to save Soul Society).
Ichigo finally finds Yhwach and engages with him in battle. At one point, Yhwach stabs Ichigo’s throat and thinks he’s managed to incapacitate Ichigo but discovers he now knows how to use Blut Vene. Yhwach cryptically explains to Ichigo that he’s drawing out memories from his spiritual core and that Quincies could not have been kept in that jail.
Yhwach also says that Ichigo doesn’t know about this mother. Yhwach wanted to take Ichigo “back” and slowly re-educate him. Does this mean that Ichigo’s mother was a Quincy? If that’s true…will Ichigo suddenly change sides in this war in order to avenge his mother’s death? Was Ichigo’s mother’s death not an “accident” but an assassination all along? And by whom? Is the person who orchestrated her death still alive?
It’s interesting to note that Yhwach and the other members of Stern Ritter suddenly declare their time is up and they must return to the Quincy Empire. As they all some sort of curse? Revenge ghosts that can only materialize for a short period of time? If that’s the case then Ishida’s mother could now be a member of Stern Ritter as a “walking ghost”.
We’ll have to wait until the next episode to see if some of these mysteries are revealed!
What is the plot of Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War?
Things were peaceful in Ichigo’s hometown of Karakura until a group of new, mysterious Soul Reapers and a new enemy appeared. Ichigo is ready to grab his Zanpakto and jump in to protect his friends and allies from this new threat. Meanwhile, strange things are occurring in Soul Society from the mysterious disappearances of the residents in the Rukon district to the surge in the number of Hollows being destroyed in the World of the Living. When Soul Society comes under attack by a group calling themselves Wandenreich, it’s up to Ichigo to turn the tide of the bloody battle that ensues.
But who is this new enemy lurking in the shadows? Yhwach, the founder of all Quincies, decides to declare war against the Soul Society and gives them the following message, “Five days from now, the Soul Society will be annihilated by the Wandenreich.”
The dark history and truth that Soul Society has been trying to keep secret finally come to light and they must atone for their past.
Who are the members of the production team?
Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War production team members include:
- Director – Tomohisa Taguchi (Twin Star Exorcists, Kino’s Journey – The Beautiful World, Akudama Drive)
- Script overseers – Masaki Hiramatsu and Tomohisa Taguchi
- Character designer – Masashi Kudo
- Music composer – Shiro Sagisu
- Chief Animation Directors – Michio Hasegawa, Sei Komatsubara, Kumiko Takayanagi
- Action Effects Animation Directors – Satoshi Sakai, Yoshihiro Kanno, Yong Hoon Chong
- Art Director – Yoshio Tanioka
- Art Design – Toshiki Amada
- Color Design – Saori Goda
- Editing – Akinori Mishima
- Director of Photography – Kazuhiro Yamada
- CG Directors – Toshihiro Sasaki, Kazushi Goto
- Sound Director – Yukio Nagasaki
- Sound Production – Zack Promotion
Who are the cast members?
Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War cast members include:
- Masakazu Morita – Ichigo Kurosaki
- Fumiko Orikasa – Rukia Kuchiki
- Noriaki Sugiyama – Uryu Ishida
- Yuki Matsuoka – Orihime Inoue
- Hiroki Yasumoto – Yasutora Sado
- Kentaro Ito – Renji Abarai
- Shinichiro Miki – Kisuke Urahara
- Satsuki Yukino – Yoruichi Shihoin
- Binbin Takaoka – Genryusai Shigekuni Yamamoto
- Houko Kuwashima – Sui-Feng
- Shouto Kashii – Rojuro Otoribashi
- Aya Hisakawa – Retsu Unohana
- Masaya Onosaka – Shinji Hirako
- Ryotaro Okiayu – Byakuya Kuchiki
- Tetsu Inada – Sajin Komamura
- Akio Ohtsuka – Shunsui Kyoraku
- Tomokazu Sugita – Kensei Muguruma
- Romi Park – Toshiro Hitsugaya
- Fumiko Tachiki – Kenpachi Zaraki
- Ryusei Nakao – Mayuri Kurotsuchi
- Hideo Ishikawa – Jushiro Ukitake
- Naomi Kusumi – Ichibe Hyosube
- Yoji Ueda – Oetsu Mimaiya
- Tomoyuki Shimura – Tenjiro Kirinji
- Rina Satou – Senjumaru Shutara
- Ayumi Tsunematsu – Kirio Hikifune
- Takayuki Sugo – Yhwach
- Yuichiro Umehara – Jugram Haschwalth
- Shunsuke Takeuchi – Askin Nakk Le Vaar
- Ayana Taketatsu – Bambietta Basterbine
- Yuki Ono – Bazz-B
- Yumi Uchiyama – Candice Catnipp
- Natsuki Hanae – Gremmy Thoumeaux
- Satoshi Hino – Lille Barro
Some of these voice actors and actresses haven’t appeared in the anime, but have played different characters in the game Bleach: Brave Souls.
Where can I watch Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War?
Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War airs every Monday from 24:00 on TV Tokyo, BS Teletext, Sendai Broadcasting, AT-X TV, and other networks in Japan. It also airs on Tuesdays on Hiroshima TV. It will air on Sundays on TV Shizuoka.
Internationally you can watch Bleach on Disney+ with certain delays expected in Europe. Simulcasts are expected in Canada, Latin America, Australia, and New Zealand. In the U.S. you can watch Bleach via the following streaming services: dTV, Anime Times, All-you-can-eat Anime, U-NEXT, dAnime Store, Bandai Channel, TELASA, J:COM on Demand, milplus, auSmart Pass Premium, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Paravi, FOD, ABEMA, Hikari TV, Rakuten TV, Nico Nico Channel, Google Play and HAPPY! The popular go-to streaming site for people in the U.S. to watch Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War appears to be Hulu.
Are you enjoying Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War? Are you looking forward to the upcoming fight between Ichigo and Yhwach? Let us know in the comment section below!