Netflix’s Kengan Ashura Season 2 release date is confirmed to be in 2023. The second season will be the third cour in the overall series so some fans have referred to it as Kengan Ashura Season 3.
On August 31, 2022, the Twitter account for the anime adaptation of Yabako Sandrovich’s Kengan Ashura martial arts manga unveiled a new key visual hyping the anime’s second season, which is set to premiere on Netflix worldwide!
You can see the new key visual, which features 56-year old salary man, Yamashita Kazuo, and the fighter he manages, Tokita “Ashura” Ohma, here:
You can watch a trailer for Kengan Ashura Season 1 on Netflix’s official YouTube channel here:
The trailer mostly focuses on the brutal battles that Ashura has to participate in against fierce opponents, but don’t be misled into believing this anime doesn’t have an interesting plot to go along with the action. Kengan Ashura Season 2 will feature the exciting final battles of the Kengan Annihilation Tournament and its epic conclusion.
What is the plot of Kengan Ashura?
The story is set in an alternate universe Japan where gladiator arenas have existed in various forms around the world since the Edo period. Wealthy business owners and merchants hire gladiators to fight in Kengan matches – unarmed combat bouts where the winner takes all. The story begins when an average Japanese salaryman for the Nogi Group, Yamashita Kazuo, witnesses an intense street fight in an alleyway between two mysterious fighters.
In a strange turn of events, the winner of the street fight, Tokita “Ashura” Ohma, is scouted by the Nogi Group CEO, Nogi Hideki, due to the fact he defeated their previously sponsored fighter in the street fight. Kazuo is appointed to become Ohma’s manager and he’s thoroughly surprised when Ohma participates in the arena fights and devastates his opponents.
Nogi Hideki decides to invite Ohma to participate in the Kengan Annihilation Tournament due to his spectacular ability to crush his enemies. The Kengan Annihilation Tournament is held by the biggest CEOs in Japan and the winner gets the seat of Kengan Association chairman – a position which holds immense power and prestige. Ohma doesn’t have much interest in “power” but uses the tournament as a chance to test his strength against powerful opponents. However, Ohma’s mysterious past comes back to haunt him and his manager, Kazuo, struggles with trying to figure out the true reason behind Ohma’s invitation to the tournament.
Who are the cast members?
Kengan Ashura’s cast members include:
- Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Japanese) and Kaiji Tang (English) – Ohma “Ashura” Tokita
- Cho (Japanese) and Keith Silverstein (English) – Kazuo Yamashita
- Jouji Nakata (Japanese) and Michael C. Pizzuto (English) – Hideki Nogi
- Yumi Uchiyama (Japanese) and Erika Harlacher (English) – Kaede Akiyama (Hideki Nogi’s personal secretary, who is assigned to help Kazuo and Ohma during the tournament. She begins to develop feelings for the powerful, handsome Ohma. Will there be a development in their relationship in Season 2?)
- Hayato Kaneko (Japanese) and Jonah Scott (English) – Lihito
- Tetsu Inada (Japanese) and Jake Green (English) – Jun Sekibayashi
- Junya Enoki (Japanese) and Bryce Papenbrook (English) – Cosmo Imai
- Daisuke Namikawa (Japanese) and Todd Haberkorn (English) – Setsuna Kiryu
Who are the members of the production team?
Kengang Ashura production team members include:
- Director – Seiji Kishi (Danganronpa The Animation, Yuki Yuna Is a Hero)
- Animation – Larx Entertainment
- Scriptwriter – Makoto Uezu (Akame ga KILL!, The Heroic Legend of Arslan)
- Character design – Kazuaki Morita (Tsuki ga Kirei, Assassination Classroom)
- Music composer – Team-MAX’s Yasuharu Takanashi (Fairy Tail, Naruto Shippuden)
Kengan Ashura Season 1’s theme song is titled “King & Ashley” and is performed by MY FIRST STORY. The ending theme song is titled “Born This Way” and is performed by the hip hop crew BAD HOP.
Where can I read the manga and watch the anime?
Kengan Ashura is a Japanese martial arts manga series written by Yabako Sandrovich and illustrated by Daromeon. From April 2012 to August 2018, the manga was serialized on Shogakukan’s Ura Sunday website and the manga’s chapters have been collected into twenty-seven tankobon volumes. In January 2019, a new arc was launched in the Manga ONE app.
In January 2019, a sequel titled “Kengan Omega” began serialization on Ura Sunday and Manga ONE, and was adapted into an original net animation (ONA) anime series. In July 2019, the first 12-episode part premiered through Netflix worldwide. In October 2019, the second 12-episode part premiered also worldwide. In 2015, the Kengan Ashura manga won a fan-voting contest in Ura Sunday to receive an anime adaptation, which made the anime possible.
Are you looking forward to Kengan Ashura Season 2? Do you think Ohma will manage to defeat all of his opponents? Let us know in the comment section below!