On June 18, 2022 the official Tokyo Revengers Twitter account released a new key visual and trailer for Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown. The Tokyo Revengers Season 2 release date is confirmed for January 2023!
The series will be broadcast on MBS, TV Tokyo, AT-X, and other channels in Japan.
The Tokyo Revengers anime is based on the time-travel, fantasy, action, adventure Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Ken Wakui. Since March 2017, the manga was been serialized in Kodansha’s Weekly Shonen Magazine.
The TV series adaptation by Liden Films aired from April to September 2021. In July 2021, a live-action film was released in Japan.
As of January 2022, the Tokyo Revengers manga has over 50 million copies currently in circulation! In 2020, the manga won the 44th Kodansha Manga Award for the shonen category.
From April 11 to September 19, 2021, a total of 24 episodes of the anime adaptation aired in Japan. The 24 episodes adapted the first to larger narrative arcs, ending with the Valhalla Arc.
There are still three large narrative arcs that can be adapted in anime. Tokyo Revengers Season 2 will apparently cover the manga’s Christmas Showdown (Seiya Kessen) arc. It is also being hyped as “Eve Battle” on Twitter. There is enough material for more than just a second season, so it is possible we may also get a Tokyo Revengers Season 3 in the future.
What is the plot of the Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown Arc?
The Christmas Conflict/Christmas Showdown refers to the battle between key members of the Tokyo Manji Gang and the 10th Generation Black Dragon gang, which includes the First and Second Division Captains and Vice-Captains, the Presidents and Vice Presidents of Toman and Black Dragon, and the Shiba Family.
When Taiju Shiba attacks Takemichi Hanagaki (the primary protagonist of the series who once finds out that when his ex-girlfriend has been murdered decides to leap through time and save her), Hakkai Shiba agrees to join the Black Dragon gang in order to protect him. Takashi Mitsuya makes a peace pact with Taiju – Hakkai will join the Black Dragon gang and in return Taiju will stop his abuse of his younger sister Yuzuha Shiba. Also, Toman cannot engage in battle with his gang. Taiju accepts the offer.
Later, Hakkai confides his true intentions to kill Taiju to Takemichi and Chifuyu. Takemichi believes this will lead to a bad future, however, and consults with the other division captains, but ultimately decides against an all-out conflict with the Black Dragon gang since this would violate the peace pact Mitsuya made with Taiju.
Kisaki and Hanma offer to help Takemichi and Chifuyu and formulate a plan to defeat Taiju and stop Hakkai on Christmas Night. For the plan to work, Takemichi must convince Hakkai, while the rest are charged with fighting Taiju. But things go south when Kisaki and Hanma betray them by restraining Chifuyu and allowing Taiju to enter the chapel. Whether or not Taiju will be defeated will be revealed in the finale of Season 2.
Tokyo Revengers Season 2 Japanese and English cast
- Takemichi Hanagaki – Yuki Shin; A.J Beckles
- Hinata Tachibana – Azumi Waki; Lizzie Freeman
- Naoto Tachibana – Ryota Osaka; Griffin Puatu
- Manjiro Sano – Yu Hayashi; Aleks Le, Casey Mongillo (young)
- Ken Ryuguji – Masaya Fukunishi (originally Tatsuhisa Suzuki); Sean Chiplock
- Masatake Kiyomizu – Satoshi Hino
- Atsushi Sendo – Takuma Terashima; John Omohundro
- Tetta Kisaki – Showtaro Morikubo
- Takuya Yamamoto – Yuya Hirose
- Makoto Suzuki – Shunsuke Takeuchi
- Kazushi Yamagishi – Shouta Hayama
- Keisuke Baji – Masaaki Mizunaka
- Takashi Mitsuya – Yoshisugu Matsuoka
- Haruki Hayashida – Subaru Kimura
- Ryohei Hayashi – Yukihiro Nozuyama
- Nahoya Kawata – Kengo Kawanishi; Bryce Papenbrook
- Yasuhiro Muto – Daisuke Ono; Landon McDonald
- Shuji Hanma – Takuya Eguchi; Zeno Robinson
- Chifuyu Matsuno – Sho Karino
- Kazutora Hanemiya – Shun’ichi Toki
- Nobutaka Osanai – Eiji Takeuchi; Kaiji Tang
Ken Ryuguki (Draken) being recast will also apply to the upcoming Season 1 two-part Blu-Ray DVD Box set in Japan and the rebroadcast/streaming of the anime TV series this July 2022.