Japanese animation Studio Orange proclaimed on Twitter that they’d announce a new anime project on Thursday, June 16, 2022. Details are unknown, but the tweet says the project will culminate their experiences and skills from the 100 shows they’ve worked on.
Eiji Inomoto founded Studio Orange on May 1, 2004, but it wasn’t until 2013 that they began to leave their mark. Inomoto worked on Zoids: Chaotic Century and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex as one of the Tachikoma 3D Unit members before founding Studio Orange.
What is the new Studio Orange project going to be?
Fans would love to hear that Land of the Lustrous Season 2 is going to be announced, but there’s a rumor that Trigun Maximum anime could reboot Vash the Stampede’s story. Way back in 2020, a rumor started that Studio Orange was secretly working on a Trigun reboot so some theorize the June 2022 announcement could be related.
However, these are still rumors. Studio Orange’s website and any official source have not confirmed such ideas so they should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
It’s also possible that Studio Orange could do multiple projects at once. As of April 2021, Studio Orange has 120 employees and almost 20 years of experience since they were founded.
And Studio Orange keeps getting better! So this could be their opportunity to announce an animal original project.
What is Studio Orange?
Studio Orange uses CG animation in TV series, theaters, PV, MV, and in-game movies. Using advanced technologies like motion capture and facial capture, Studio Orange is pushing CG animation to be the next step in drawing animation.
Here is a list of some of the projects Studio Orange was the lead animation studio.
- Majestic Prince has 24 episodes and ran from April 4, 2013, to September 19, 2013. It’s based on the manga by Rando Ayamine, and Doga Kobo is the co-producer.
- Black Bullet has 13 episodes and ran from April 8, 2014, to July 1, 2014. Black Bullet started as a light novel by Shiden Kanzaki and Saki Ukai. Kinema Citrus is the co-producer.
- Active Raid is an original with 3DCG services for Production IMS. It has 24 episodes and ran from January 7, 2016, to September 27, 2016.
- Norn9 is based on an otome game by Otomate and was co-produced with Kinema Citrus. Norn9 has 12 episodes and ran from January 7, 2016, to March 31, 2016.
- Dimension W is based on Yuji Iwahara’s manga and is co-produced with 3Hz. There are 12 episodes, and the anime ran from January 10, 2016, to March 27, 2016.
- Land of the Lustrous is based on Haruko Ichikawa’s manga and has 12 episodes that aired from October 7, 2017, to December 23, 2017.
- Beastars and Beastars Season 2 is based on Paru Itagaki’s manga. Both seasons have 12 episodes and season 2 ended on March 25, 2021.
- Godzilla Singular Point is Studio Orange’s latest project, and Bones is co-producing it. It has 13 episodes and ran from April 1, 2021, to June 24, 2021.
But what do you guys think? Is there a series you wish Studio Orange would revisit, or do you want something new? We have 6 days to theorize, so let’s do it together!