The Break of Dawn movie release date in Japan is October 21, the Fall 2022 anime season.
Just days before the premiere, on October 11, a new Break of Dawn movie clip was released via the Avex Pictures YouTube channel.
Take a look:
While the clip isn’t subtitled, it reveals Nigatsu no Remei-Gou (unofficial translation: “The February Dawn”), which has hacked Nanako, main character Yūma Sawatari’s household robot.
The Break of Dawn anime movie: what we know so far
It was originally announced that the Break of Dawn film was in production in March 2022, whereby the first trailer was revealed:
On July 5, 2022, it was confirmed that the movie will be out in October 2022.
Additional Bokura no Yoake cast members were revealed on August 10.
On August 25, 2022, the movie got a release date, a trailer, and a key visual. On the occasion, it was also revealed that the theme song is “Itsushika” (“Before You Know It”) by Daichi Miura.
The Break of Dawn cast has been since confirmed to include:
- Zero-G (Dive!!) — production
- Tomoyuki Kurokawa (PSYCHO-PASS) — director
- Takahiko Yoshida (Yowamushi Pedal) — animation director, character design
- Dai Satō (Cowboy Bebop) — script
- Pomodorosa — concept design
- Masaru Yokoyama (Urusei Yatsura 2022) — music composer
The Bokura no Yoake cast members include:
- Hana Sugisaki — Yūma Sawatari
- Aoi Yuki — Nanako
- Inori Minase — Kaori Kawai
- Natsumi Fujiwara — Shingo Kishi
- Inori Minase — Honoka Kawai
- Nobuhiko Okamoto — Ginnosuke Tadokoro
- Haruka Sawatari — Wako Kishi
- Romi Park — Nigatsu no Remei-Gou (“The February Dawn”)
- Kana Hanazawa — Haruka Sawatari
- Yoshimasa Hosoya — Ryo Sawatari
- Kenjirō Tsuda— Yoshitatsu Kawai
About the Break of Dawn manga
The Break of Dawn (ぼくらのよあけ, Bokura no Yoake) anime movie is based on the eponymous manga series by Tetsuya Imai. For the entirety of its run (January-October 2011), the manga was serialized in Kodansha’s Monthly Afternoon. The chapters have been collected into two tankōbon volumes.
As for the plot, it is set in the year 2049 when a collision with a large-scale comet is expected to take place. The story focuses on Yūma Sawatari — who is obsessed with the collision — and his household robot Nanako.
However, Nanako gets hacked by Nigatsu no Remei-Gou, as shown in the movie clip above. The extraterrestrials ask Yūma to help them get back home. The catch-22 is that the extraterrestrials are somehow connected to the impending collision and Yūma has to unravel the link.
Imai is known to wider audiences as the mangaka behind the award-winning Alice & Zoroku (アリスと蔵六, Arisu to Zōroku) manga series that began serialization in Tokuma Shoten’s magazine Monthly Comic Ryū in December 2012. Seven Seas Entertainment has licensed the series for English audiences. A manga-inspired anime adaptation premiered in April 2017 and was streamed by Crunchyroll and Funimation.