Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 S2 premiered on Netflix on May 23, 2022. Performer millennium parade has made the opening theme (“Secret Ceremony”) available on YouTube for everyone to see and enjoy.
The opening sequence was produced by the band’s founder Daiki Tsuneta at his creative label PERIMETRON.
In addition, to commemorate the occasion, a brand new key visual depicting the main cast was simultaneously released— a total of fifteen character illustrations by character designer Ilya Kuvshinov (see below).
Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 S2 Cast and Production
Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 S2 features a mixture of returning cast members and some new ones, as follows:
- Motoko Kusanagi: voiced by Atsuko Tanaka
- Daisuke Aramaki: voiced by Hiroshi Naka
- Batou: voiced by Akio Otsuka
- Togusa: voiced by Koichi Yamadera
- Ishikawa: voiced by Yutaka Nakano
- Saito: voiced by Toru Okawa
- Pazu: voiced by Takashi Onozuka
- Borma: voiced by Taro Yamaguchi
- Tachikoma: voiced by Sakiko Tamagawa
- Purin Ezaki: voiced by Megumi Han
- Standard: voiced by Kenjiro Tsuda
- John Smith: voiced by Kaiji Soze
- Kurisu Otomo Teito: voiced by Shigeo Kiyama
- Takashi Shimamura: voiced by Megumi Hayashibara
- Suzuka Mizukane: voiced by Umeka Shoji
Production has been left to veterans: Sola Digital Arts (Appleseed Alpha, Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars) and Production I.G. (Psycho-Pass, Haikyuu!!). The latter has had a hand in nearly all Ghost in the Shell productions (the original 1995 movie, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex anime series, and a couple of Ghost in the Shell-inspired video games).
The official Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 S2 Netflix synopsis explains the second season is this way:
“Continuing from the mystery-laden ending of Season 1, the battle between Section 9 and the “posthumans” threatening humanity finally begins. The chaotic story unfolds at a breathless pace, posing the ultimate question: are the “posthumans” the potential of human evolution as shown throughout “Ghost in the Shell”?”
Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 S2 Japan Commemoration
In commemoration of the Netflix premiere, Shibuya-based PARCO Museum will hold the Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 EXHIBITION “In The Shell” (攻殻機動隊 SAC_2045 EXHIBITION “In The Shell”) from June 3 to June 20, 2022.
Additionally, PARCO will also release the Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 Cards Collection featuring the S1 and S2 artwork, including two new works by Ilya Kuvshinov. The cards have been intentionally made larger in size so that collectors can fully appreciate the art.
About The Ghost in the Shell Franchise
The anime is based on the manga by Masamune Shirō ((攻殻機動隊, Kōkaku Kidōtai) that originally ran from 1989 to 1991. It has since evolved into a full-blown franchise of which Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 is just the latest addition.
The manga has been licensed by Dark Horse Comics.
Ghost in the Shell manga:
- Ghost in the Shell (1989-1991)
- Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor (1991-1996)
- Ghost in the Shell 2: Man-Machine Interface (June 1997-August 1997)
Ghost in the Shell Films:
- Ghost in the Shell (1995)
- Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004)
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex — Solid State Society (2006)
- Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie (2015)
Ghost in the Shell live-action movies:
- Ghost in the Shell (2017)
Ghost in the Shell anime series:
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (The Laughing Man (2005) and Individual Eleven (2006))
- Ghost in the Shell 2.0 (2008)
- Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG
- Ghost in the Shell: Arise — Alternative Architecture
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 (2 seasons: 2020, 2023)
Lastly, let’s take a moment to appreciate new character illustrations by Ilya Kuvshinov that were released yesterday. Enjoy Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 S2!