The Urusei Yatsura release date is on October 13, the Fall 2022 anime season.
The news was announced on September 15, 2022. The announcement was accompanied by a brand new Lum, the Invader Girl key visual (see below).
The TV anime is being produced by David Production and directed by Hideya Takahashi and Yasuhiro Kimura (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind). Naoyuki Asano (Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!) is handling character design, while Yūko Kakihara (The Aquatope on White Sand) is tasked with series composition.
Additional staff members include:
- Kazuhiro Takamura, mikitail — sub-character designers
- JNTHED, Yoshihiro Sono — mechanical designers
- Masanobu Nomura — art director
- Ayaka Nakamura — color designer
- Yūichirou Osada — photography director
- Masaru Yokoyama —music composer
- JNTHED, Yoshihiro Sono — mechanic design
- Kanji Oshima — CG Director
- Ayaka Nakamura — color key artist
- Kiyoshi Hirose — editing
- Yoshikazu Iwanami— sound director
The cast members include:
- Sumire Uesaka — Lum
- Hiroshi Kamiya — Ataru Moroboshi
- Maaya Uchida— Shinobu Miyake
- Wataru Takagi — Cherry
- Miyuki Sawashiro — Sakura
- Mamoru Miyano — Shūtarou Mendou
- Kana Hanazawa — Ran
- Shizuka Ishigami — Benten
- Saori Hayami — Oyuki
- Katsuyuki Konishi — Rei
- Nana Mizuki — Kurama
The Urusei Yatsura 2022 anime series is a reboot of the original namesake TV anime (1981-1986), which was followed up by four theatrical films and an OVA series.
The Lum, the Invader Girl 2022 anime series will be comprised of 4 cours. The two cours of Season 1 will air consecutively and end in March 2023. The Urusei Yatsura Season 2 release date hasn’t been confirmed yet.
About the Urusei Yatsura manga series
Lum, the Invader Girl (うる星やつら, Urusei Yatsura) is the first manga series by legendary mangaka Rumiko Takahashi. It was serialized in Shogakukan’s Weekly Shōnen Sunday from 1978 to 1987, amounting to 366 chapters. The individual chapters have been collected into 34 tankōbon volumes.
The plot follows Ataru Moroboshi and the alien girl Lum, who believes she is his wife due to a misunderstanding.
The Urusei Yatsura manga series was originally licensed as Lum and The Return of Lum by Viz Media in the 1990s. In 2019, the publisher re-licensed the series and began releasing 2-in-1 omnibus editions under its original title with new translations.
Takahashi is one of the most famous mangaka. Her other notable works include Inuyasha and Ranma ½, both of which have received multiple anime adaptations over the years. Her manga series are specific in that they draw on Japanese mythology and feature numerous puns and cultural references.