The cult-classic PC visual novel — Witch on the Holy Night (Mahoutsukai no Yoru) — will finally make its way to the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. It’s an updated version of 2012’s PC release and boasts remastered high-definition visuals and full voice acting.
And the best part, fans can get a taste of this slick-looking visual novel right now! Developer TYPE-MOON (behind Fate/EXTRA Record) and publisher Aniplex have announced the demo version that’s currently available. You’ll find the Witch on the Holy Night on the Nintendo eShop and PlayStation Store. However, save data from the demo version won’t carry over to the full paid version.
Digital releases of both versions will release on December 8, 2022, worldwide. And Japan will also receive a physical release on the same day.
But North American fans that crave a physical version won’t be left in the cold. Amazon is taking pre-orders for the Witch on the Holy Night: Limited Edition for the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Both versions cost US$59.99 and will ship on January 27, 2023.
And recently, TYPE-MOON released a character PV trailer showcasing Touko Aozaki, which you can watch below:
Furthermore, Studio Ufotable (behind the upcoming Genshin Impact anime) announced an anime film adaptation based on the 2012 visual novel version of Mahoutsukai no Yoru. You can watch the teaser PV below:
What is Witch on the Holy Night about?
Aniplex has revealed the following story overview of the game:
“Two witches dwell within a mansion atop a hill.
It is the late 1980s, the twilight years of a vibrant and bustling era. A boy arrives in the city only to encounter two witches living in the present day.
The boy leads a normal life. One of the girls is proud and dignified. The other lives hidden away, as if in slumber.
Three stars in parallel orbit, fated never to meet. The story of how these three completely different characters come to live under one roof will soon be revealed…”
Who are the staff working on the game?
We have confirmation of the following Japanese voice actors:
- Haruka Tomatsu as Aoko Aozaki
- Yusuke Kobayashi as Shizuki Sojuro
- Kana Hanazawa as Usu Kuonji
- Chika Anzai as Kumari Kaneka
- Shohei Kajikawa as Hosuke Kinomi
- Toshinari Fukamachi as Tsukushi Tobimaru
- Ruriko Aoki as Touko Aozaki
- Atsumi Tanezaki as Lou-Beowulf
- Akiha Matsui as Yuika Shuse
- Shizuka Ito as Rikka Sukase
- Hiromichi Tezuka as Eri Fumira
And the following assume key development roles:
- Kinoko Nasu – Director and Scenario
- Hirokazu Koyama – Character Design, Key Animation, and General Graphic Director
- Takao Sogetsu Shimoetsu – Main Graphic
- Takashi Takeuchi, BLACK, Otoyuki Sunatori – Graphics
- Tsukurimonoji – Direction and Script
- Yuro – Main Background Artist
- Kiyobee AZ-UME – Program
- Hideyuki Fukasawa, Keita Haga, James Harris, hil – Music
- WINFANWORKS – Logo Design
- Tokuro Sasaya, Ukan Todaka, OKSG – Production Support
- TYPE-MOON – Planning and Production
Witch on the Holy Night should be one of the most promising upcoming visual novel releases. Let’s hope this updated release will satisfy existing and new fans alike. Stay tuned!