Long-time fans of Akiba’s Trip: Undead & Undressed have probably wondered if they will ever get a new update of this unique action-adventure game. Fortunately, developer Acquire just dropped their latest Japanese promo video of Akiba’s Trip 2 Director’s Cut, which let us in on some juicy details!
This title will release on April 20, 2023, in Japan for the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and PC (via Steam). Those that own the original game on the PlayStation 4 (released in 2014) and PC (released in 2015) can upgrade by purchasing its DLC.
However, newcomers and those that want to enjoy Akiba’s Trip in its entirety will be in for a treat! The upcoming release will feature the following extras not available during its original release back in 2013 for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita:
- Additional content and refinement throughout the game while maintaining its “Akihabara overflowing with otaku culture” atmosphere and theme.
- All existing DLC included — this downloadable content consists primarily of clothes and equipment created in collaboration with various companies and media.
- Kati Route Story added — The scenario fans have anticipated finally makes its way to Akiba’s Trip 2 Director’s Cut. It features the heroine Kati Raikkonen, and the rewritten story has new voice-overs, which will lead players to the true final ending of the game. Completionists simply can’t miss out on this one!
Physical and downloadable versions of Akiba’s Trip 2 Director’s Cut will go for 5,480 yen (approximately US$37). And the limited edition physical release will set gamers back 8,980 yen (US$60).
What’s the deal with Akiba’s Trip: Undead & Undressed?
It’s a bit of an otaku fest, as the player gets to explore a near-identical representation of Akihabara. Moreover, the player can purchase items from the shops, visit maid cafes, and play games. But the core gameplay revolves around battling the game’s key adversaries — the Synthisters — by stripping their clothes off!
Yeah, crazy, we know!! However, this is such a well-implemented and ridiculously funny gameplay feature that there’s little wonder why Akiba’s Trip: Undead & Undressed is such a cult hit! Yet it’s not only a shallow gimmick designed to give the game some online notoriety, as it also has satisfying beat ’em up mechanics, a combo system, and plenty of customization features.
Who are the voice actors of this game?
The following Japanese voice talent star in Akiba’s Trip 2:
- Ryota Osaka as Yuuki Kasugano
- Suzaki Aya as Nana Kasugano
- Chiwa Saito as Touko Sagisaka
- Haruka Yamazaki as Kati Raikkonen
- Toshitsugu Takashina as Kihachi Sugiyama
- Daiki Yamashita as Kaito Tachibana
- Junichi Yanagita as Yuuto Tachibana
- Eriko Nakamura as Shion Kasugai
- Hisako Kanemoto as Rin Tokikaze
- Sachika Misawa as Shizuku Tokikaze
- Ryouta Takeuchi as Souga Kagutsuki
- Daichi Kanbara as Zenya Amou
The additional content and promises of a more refined experience have us excited. The earlier Akiba’s Trip entries already proved popular and delivered plenty of fan service. And this upcoming release will likely deliver all this and much more. Stay tuned!